Wednesday 2 June 2010

Ginger Wine Recipe

Making good wine is a skill. Fine wine is an art.
~ Robert Mondavi, "Harvests Of Joy," Autobiography


Recently I have received several requests for Ginger Wine recipe. So today I am sharing the recipe that my mom used. It’s very easy to make and the best thing is you don’t need to wait days for the wine to age before drinking as it will be ready in two days time. But of course the longer the wine ages the better it tastes! I like wine to have its natural color for each wine and so I never add caramelized sugar. If you want your ginger wine to be red in color just add caramelized sugar syrup. I hope you enjoy the unique sweet and slightly spicy flavor:)....

Ginger Wine


Ingredients:

Ginger-250gm.
Sugar -1 1/4kg
Dried Red chillies -10nos.
Citric Acid-2tsp.
Caramelized Sugar Syrup (optional)
Water -3 1/2bottle (measure in a 750ml bottle)

Method:
  • Boil water, sugar, grated ginger and chopped chilies together. Reduce the flame and simmer for about 20 minutes. Turn off the gas and keep aside for one day.
  • On the next day drain the syrup in to a big glass bottle and add citric acid.
  • Add cooled caramelized sugar syrup if desired at this stage.
  • Keep aside for one day and drain the wine without shaking the bottle and pour in to small bottles.
  • For Caramelizing the sugar heat 3 tablespoons of sugar until it becomes dark brown on medium flame. Add 1/2-cup hot water to the browned sugar and boil. Turn off the gas and mix with the wine when it becomes cool.

Note:
  • All the utensils & bottle should be clean & dry. If there is water the wine will become sour.
  • Don't fill the bottle to the brink. Always leave 1/4 bottle empty.

Ginger wine

Did You Enjoy this Recipe?

Enter your email ID below to get

more such recipes in your inbox

Print Friendly and PDF

37 comments:

  1. Wow..looks truly inviting mainly in this hot summer n to soothe the throat. :) (2day was 46C when i went to doc ..sipped jeera masala wt soda n felt coool!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous, look at that clear crystal liquid. YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I am not a wine drinker, but never knew that wine could be made at home so easily :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Swapna Chechy, I love the new look of your blog. Loved the header and all the pics that accompany your post!

    I have never tasted ginger wine before. Your wine is so clear! I love the ease of this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!! one more wine recipe to try!! Thanks Swapna!! Please keep on posting such things. Also like the new look of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow wine looks interesting..thanks for sharing..awesome clicks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the shots...e.specially the first two...:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting recipe which I would love to try. But could you clarify the measurement of water? How much is 1 bottle? Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Poornima ~ Water you have to measure in a 750ml bottle...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Swapna, This looks easy, and I'm gonna try this soon!. BTW I have a query .Can I use Lemon juice instead of citric acid? If so, how many teaspoons should I add? Please let me know as I'm eagerly waiting to do it and taste it !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Manju, Yes you can use the juice of two lemons as a substitute for 2 tsp of citric acid.

      Delete
  11. As a first timer, i dont hv a large glass bottle? What exactly is its purpose?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a doubt. This recipe does not mention yeast as an ingredient. How then, is the alcohol formed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red chilli acts in place of yeast as fermenter

      Delete
  13. Suresh, U are right...Yeast to be added of course. I have followed all the above steps, without the carmelised sugar and with YEAST..Made the wine today morning, added yeast in the evening and started fermenting and hope to have a great wine in a few weeks time...


    ReplyDelete
  14. I just tried this and it turned out great. It is almost the same as how we make ginger beer in the Caribbean except instead of straining before we let it sit, we strain it after. It is a nice change from having always made it that way. I let it sit a total of 3 days but I think I will try a full week next time to see how that effects the strength and flavour. Thanks Swapna.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dunori for the feed back and glad to hear you liked it :)... Do let me know how it turns out after your next try :) Wishing you and your family a Very Happy New Year!

      Delete
  15. Hi Swapna, liked this, am going to try it out, but have a doubt..the quantity you have specified results in what quantity of wine?
    I want to make about 1Ltr of wine, could you help me the quantities of your ingredients please? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Swapna, would like to know what is the wine quantity out of this preparation. I would like to make 1 Ltr of wine, could you please help me with the measurement of the ingredients. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The given quantity will yield almost 2 1/2 to 3 liters of wine.

      Delete
  17. Hi Swapna, Should i add Yeast to the recipe or jus follow the same( new to wine brewing)

    ReplyDelete
  18. If we use lemon juice instead of citric acid, when it is to be added? Should it be boiled again after adding lemon juice?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi,

    By Drain you mean Strain,Right?

    Thnks and regards
    Arlene

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Swapna,
    Two days are up now but the ginger wine tastes sweet, it does not tastes like alcohol. How much longer should I wait for it to ferment n taste like wine? I have not added the caramelized sugar.

    Thanks and regards
    Arlene

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Swapna chechi, I tried ur beetroot wine and ginger wine, which turned out really soooper doooper... thanks to you. Love your recipes, your recipes are of great encouragement to the starters. Many thanks once again.

    ReplyDelete
  22. How many days does it take turn clear ?

    ReplyDelete
  23. please let me know, why dont u mix yeast

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi swapna... hw much yeast shud v add to this ginger wine???

    ReplyDelete
  25. How many months it can b preserved..i.made it.but after 1 week gas formed and not tasting good. Plz help I wanna make it again

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Swapna, i added juice of 1 lemon to the mixture, this was 4 days back, is it ok to add juice from 1 more lemon ok the fifth day? What can I do to rectify?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi swapna I love ur recipes, for how long we can store this

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Swapna,
    I followed the reciepe .Wine seems to be excellent. But gas is formed.Can u plz tell me hw to avoid it?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Swapna
    I followed the recipe .It seems to be excellent. But gas is formed .Can you plz tell me hw to avoid it?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Swapna, can caramelised sugar b added after the ginger is already done. Kindly advise

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog:) Your feedback is important....so feel free to post your comments and questions. Hope to see you soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...