Thursday 13 January 2011

Kappalanga / Omakka Thoran (Stir Fried Raw Papaya with Coconut)



After some of the high calorie posts, here I am with a simple thoran with Kappalanga/ Omakka (Papaya). Thoran is a Kerala dry side dish made of a finely chopped / grated vegetables or leaves mixed together with grated coconut and spices, briefly stir fried on a pan. Recently when my hubby went for a short trip to Kerala, raw papaya/ kappalanga was one of the items in my huge list of things that he had to bring back. So my dad send me a big papaya / kappalanga, and I knew if I made the whole thing as one dish I will end up throwing it in my trash after a few days. So I made 2 types of thoran and 2 types of pickles with one kappalanga ;)…. That way I didn’t waste my papaya and you guessed it right… I will be posting all of them here soon… so this is part-1 of my papaya/ kappalanga preparation ;)....




Kappalanga /Omakka Thoran (Stir Fried Raw Papaya with Coconut)
Ingredients:
Kappalanga/Omakka (RawPapaya) -1 cup, chopped fine
Grated coconut- 1/4cup
Chumannulli (Shallots) -5nos ( or Onion -1 small)
Green chilles-1 or 2 nos
Garlic - 1clove
Jeerakom (Cumin Seeds)-1/4tsp
Turmeric powder- a pinch
Salt to taste
Mustard seeds - 1/4tsp
Curry Leaves- a spring
Oil - 1tsp

Method:
  • Peel skin and remove seeds inside the papaya.
  • Clean it well and finely chop/ grate it. (I used my food processer to chop the papaya).
  • Grind coarsely, coconut, onion, green chilies, garlic, cumin seeds, turmeric powder and salt.
  • Heat oil in a frying pan and splutter mustard seeds.
  • Add coarsely ground coconut mixture and curry leaves and sauté for one minute.
  • Add chopped papaya. Mix well, cover and cook on low flame for 3 minutes.
  • Open lid and stir well until all the water in it evaporates.
  • Serve hot as a side dish with boiled rice.

Did You Enjoy this Recipe?

Enter your email ID below to get

more such recipes in your inbox

Print Friendly and PDF

16 comments:

  1. One of my favourite fruit(?) for thoran!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same like Ria said one of my fave side dishes too, looks delish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. healthy and delicious thoran...love this with rice...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kerala is on my list of top three places I would go if I could take a trip for free! This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delicious and great looking thoran..

    ReplyDelete
  6. papaya thoran.. so local back home and so expensive here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful recipe....an excellent mix of ingredients. Love the flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thorans are simply awesome! Healthy and yummy.

    Swapna, do send this over to Kerala Kitchen an event I'm hosting featuring dishes inspired by Kerala

    http://magpiesrecipes.blogspot.com/p/keralakitchen.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have never tried raw papaya as a curry, this one looks a good recipe to try out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so very new for me....love!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it, havn't had some for ages now. You made me remember that i should have some when i go home this time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bought papaya for this..came on ur blog n found achaar too :D :D (Buy 1 get one free :D :D)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Didn't read the first para..u hv mentioned...
    Btw, loved the technique of fine chopping papaya..guess what..my hubby had declared that he dislikes papaya, n ate this heartily, 'thinking' its cabbage :D Shd hv seen the surprise on his face when I declared its papaya he just relished..heee..Tks for this keeper recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. thoran....such an awesome recipe and healthy dish.Light and tasty dish that can be enjoyed easily...yummy. your content is just fabulous...thank u for sharing. Loved it. do check my blog and please review(comment) it.
    cuisines

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog:) Your feedback is important....so feel free to post your comments and questions. Hope to see you soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...