Thursday 17 March 2011

Murgh Methi Malai / Chicken in Creamy Fenugreek Sauce


Last month on a fine morning I plucked my fresh grown methi leaves/ fenugreek leaves from my kitchen balcony with the thought of making Methi chicken that I previously used to make with dry fenugreek leaves. While waiting for my helper to come I happened to see in my reader that Ria had updated her blog with Methi Malai Chicken and you guessed it.....I changed my plan to make my usual methi chicken to this one and it was a good decision….we loved this curry… she got this recipe from one of our FB friends Bindu… so here is the much talked FB fame MMC (Methi Malai Chicken) :) … Thank you Bindu for this wonderful recipe and thanks Ria for posting this in your blog :)...


Murgh Methi Malai /  Methi Malai Chicken / Chicken in Creamy Fenugreek Sauce
Ingredients:
1 whole chicken, cut up into 18-20 pieces, washed.
2 large red onions, finely sliced
3 tbsp ginger garlic paste
12 green chillies, ground to a rough paste
1 1/2 tbsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp garam masala
1 bunch fresh methi / fenugreek leaves
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
5 tbsp plain yoghurt, whisked well
4 tbsp heavy cream / Amul cream
Salt to taste
Oil- 3 tbsp
Water- 1/2 cup
Method:
  • Heat oil in a pressure cooker.
  • Add the sliced onions plus some salt and sauté till they become soft.
  • Add the ginger-garlic paste and green chillies and sauté for almost a minute.
  • Add the powders and mix well.
  • Add in the leaves and give it a good mix till they wilt.
  • Add in the chopped tomatoes and mix. If you want, you can mush up the tomato pieces with the back of your spoon.
  • Add in the well whisked yoghurt and mix quickly so that it doesn't spilt.
  • Add in the chicken pieces and brown the pieces. Cover and cook for 1 whistle.
  • Let the pressure go down on it's own. pen the lid and add in the cream.
  • Check for salt and serve hot with rice / chapathi / parata / poori / bread
Notes:
  • Since we only buy boneless chicken and prefer smaller pieces in our curry, I didn’t use a pressure cooker to make this. I used my non-stick pan instead.
  • This curry should be creamy and not watery, so please keep that in mind when you add water.
  • You can grow methi leaves / fenugreek leaves in a pot in your kitchen balcony… Just plant methi seeds / fenugreek seeds / ulluva in a pot and you will get your first crop in 2-3 weeks of time!


Did You Enjoy this Recipe?

Enter your email ID below to get

more such recipes in your inbox

Print Friendly and PDF

10 comments:

  1. Looks delicious ....n nice pics

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made methi paratha yesterday and have some left, I going to try this recipe during the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. creamy n delicious chicken...iyoooo kothiyavunne..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Swapna Chechy, thanks so much for trying :) The way you wrote it made it sound like a 'sensational' recipe :)

    I am going to plant some 'uluva' in a pot :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Havent prepared this delicious,creamy murgh methi malai since a long, soooo yummy and irresistible..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Creamy yummy curry, nice combination with chicken too....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice clicks swapna, Methi chicken is my fav too though havent tried with malai....entha noyambonnum elle???

    ReplyDelete
  8. Creamy and flavorful chicken,beautiful clicks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey..ths ws ma first post in ma blog.. i jst luv this... bt ma mom adds sweet corn to this & make a little more gravy....
    bt beautiful clicks...

    http://hasnasdelights.blogspot.com/2010/10/methi-chicken-with-sweet-corn.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Swapna, I cooked it today and blv me it was yummy. Thanks for posting a nice recepie. God bless

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog:) Your feedback is important....so feel free to post your comments and questions. Hope to see you soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...