Friday 20 May 2011

Passion Fruit Buttermilk Pound Cake


When I was a kid I  first tasted  it simply mixed with sugar and loved it J … that childhood love affair continued years later and I tried it in different forms like; juice, squash, wine, truffles, puddings and finally in baking, tried it in brownies, bars and now in cakes! Loved Passion Fruit in all it's avatars! Back home Appa has a passion fruit plant in his back yard and he collects the pulp, freezes it and gives it to me saying make juice for his grandkid J….  But poor grandson never gets juice from the pulp that his Appacha lovingly sends him…. because his mom uses it in her exotic cooking :D …  I have adapted this basic cake recipe from Deeba’s blog whose recipes I trust blindly and my experiment with this Passion Fruit Buttermilk Pound Cake was a huge success as this cake tasted delicious the next day!



Passion Fruit Buttermilk Pound Cake
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup vanilla or plain sugar
2 eggs
100ml buttermilk {or substitute recipe below}
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
4 tbsp passion fruit pulp without seeds
Zest of 1 orange
To make buttermilk substitute at home:
Take 100ml milk at room temp; add 1 tsp white vinegar. Let it stand 5-10 minutes. When it curdles, it’s ready.

Method:
  • Grease and flour the sides of a loaf pan or 8″ ring tin, or a 6″ round tin. Line the bottom.
  • Preheat the oven to 170C.
  • Sift the flour with the baking powder, baking soda and salt. Reserve.
  • Cream the butter and sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time, followed by the vanilla extract, passion fruit pulp and orange zest.
  • With beater on low add the flour and buttermilk alternately in three lots.
  • Bake for 50-60 minutes till golden brown on top, and the tester comes out clean.
  • Meanwhile, make the glaze…


Passion Fruit Glaze
5 - 6 tbsp passion fruit pulp without seeds or as required
1/2 cup powdered sugar

Method:
  • Make the glazing by mixing together passion fruit pulp into the powdered sugar, stir till all lumps have dissolved. Add some more powdered sugar / pulp, until you get the required consistency.
  • Pour the glaze evenly over the cooled cake, letting some drip over the sides. Wait for some time till it sets.


Notes:
  • In a food processor or blender, puree the passion fruit pulp with a couple of teaspoons of water for 10 seconds. Transfer to a fine sieve set over a bowl; strain through sieve, pressing with back of spoon to remove seeds.
  • Passion fruit pulp can be substituted with Lime or lemon juice, orange juice or with any other fruit pulp/juice of your choice.


 Sending this to Tried and Tasted is  event started by Zlamushka,now taken over by Lakshmi and is hosted at Samayal Arai and it features Passionate About Baking as the blog of the month.

Did You Enjoy this Recipe?

Enter your email ID below to get

more such recipes in your inbox

Print Friendly and PDF

32 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful looking loaf. I remember our neighbour had a passion fruit treee and wekids used to eat them with sugar and also salt :-)
    I think the ones we get here are bit different that the one we had there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The loaf looks absolutely tempting :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had one passionfruit plant at our house creeping on to the second floor..The cute sight of them hanging & peeping, still is clear in my memories.precious!
    The loaf has come out perfect..Love to have a slice...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just simply amazing Swapna. I want an 'Appa' who makes passion fruit juice too! I have always been intrigued by this fruit, and I hear it grows wild down south. It is unheard of here in the North. Your cake looks gorgeous, glaze and all. Thank you for the kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the loaf looks so perfect and beautiful..

    ReplyDelete
  6. For some reason whenever I see passion fruit, I start thinking in Portuguese (it's maracuja in Portuguese)... ANYWAY, this cake is beautiful. I want to eat the glaze with a spoon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG !!! Looks so tempting and perfect.. amazing clicks dear.. thanks for the recipe :)
    Indian Cuisine

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi swapna, this pound cake looks perfect.. really tempting with the frosting on top!:)book marked!:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful clicks.Pound cake looks fabulous

    South Indian Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow wonderful..beautiful looking loaf and love the flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Passion fruit and pound cake sounds like a perfect combination. I love passion fruit! Beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a pretty looking loaf,the slices look so neat and the glaze on top is just too good..the pound cake recipe is a winner always..3 cheers to Deeba!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic and irresistible cake,looks stunning..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Swapna,

    I am unable to find passion fruit where I live. What else can I use to substitute the passion fruit pulp?

    Thanks,
    Shubha

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is simply amazing swapna...the cake has come out perfect and the clicks are too good...now where will i get passion fruit here..(there are lots at TVM at my parents house) you really are tempting me...any substitute for passion fruit???

    ReplyDelete
  16. How do you remove seeds from passion fruit pulp?
    It's practically impossible.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oooooh, lovely! This cake looks so delicious - I adore passion fruit! Gorgeous photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Simply love it! Look at that tender cake, I can tell from here that it's bursting with flavour!

    I love passion fruit and I'm waiting to go home to eat them! :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks everybody for the lovely comments :)...

    @Shubha, Nisa and Anonymous ~ just updated the post with notes...Please check the notes...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Swapna as you know i made this cake through FB and now i have posted them in my place.
    A real delicous cake this is, especially with the passion fruit in them.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow .. drooling .. looks so yummy and the pictures are terrific.

    Lovely blog and happy to follow you.

    Vardhini
    VardhinisKitchen

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi swapna, first time in your blog, I am discovering with my T & T event, I came to your blog through Divya's Mango buttermilk pound cake!, I read that you have made something from her blog, I am hosting T & T (Deeba's blog) coincidentally, I will be thrilled, if you send this link to my event I will really very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've made this cake but without the orange zest and it is very good! Moist with a tender crumb and a lovely, light flavor. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello from Belize...I have growing on a trellis fence several passionfruit vines,now fruiting in abundace. Last wk. I decided to make some wine from all the fruits that just keeps falling,btw,I also love the fruits plain,so very sweet. I found your recipe,and will look forward to producing a wine that's full in body and taste.

    Today I'm trying the pound cake recipe...I will certainly need to exercise a lot more now that I've found your website..lol!
    Thank you swapna..

    ReplyDelete
  25. The cake looks delicious. I want to try it do you have an idea how can I order passion fruit online in India?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry...I have no idea if you get passion fruit online...

      Delete
  26. would love to make but can't find conversion for ml to liquid in us measurements:

    ReplyDelete
  27. Would love to make cake but what is 100ml buttermilk in us conversion?

    ReplyDelete
  28. We made this today. Perfection.
    Thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the feed back! Glad to hear you liked it!

      Delete
  29. Hi Swapna. I tried out your cake today. It came out very soft and moist. I baked it in a tube pan. I waited a few minutes and then overturned onto a plate for wire rack cooling but the cake collapsed :(( What could be the reasons ??

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog:) Your feedback is important....so feel free to post your comments and questions. Hope to see you soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...